Best German Shepherd Diets
Diet is very important to a German Shepherd dog. As a hard working breed, GSD’s require a high protein food with plenty of vitamins and calcium. German Shepherds are also prone to food allergies that present in skin irritations.
A well balanced healthy meal prolongs the life of your pet and allows them the energy needed to work. While all dog foods claim to be the best, there are only a select few that meet the needs of the German Shepherd dog.
Always look for meat (real meat not meal) as the first ingredient. The price is higher for these premium dog foods, but well worth it in veterinary savings. Not only will your German Shepherd feel better with more energy, it will show in his coat as well.
The added bonus of feeding the best German Shepherd diet is the amount of stool and the odor of what is there. Imagine only having to clean the yard once a day, with only solid stools that break up easily.
A good German Shepherd diet will also mean the smell will be much lower. Less dog food fillers means less stool.
After many years of taking care of dogs, and now owning a German Shepherd, I’ve found my favorite five brands of premium dog food for the best German Shepherd diet.
Of course you could feed a raw or home cooked diet as well, or supplement a kibble diet with raw foods.
My favorite brands of German Shepherd Dog Food
1. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Dry Dog Food: This grain-free formula is made with roasted quail, duck and turkey to provide highly digestible protein and to help your dog maintain good health.
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Dog Food: High-protein, low-carb BLUE Wilderness is a great food for active dogs. A balanced approach to high-energy nutrition.
3. Wellness CORE Ocean Grain-Free Dry Canine Diet Dog Food: This grain-free diet contains four different fish-based protein sources and is perfect for dogs with poultry allergies.
4. Orijen Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food For Canines: High-protein and low-carbohydrate, Orijen Adult’s grain-free formula is a rich balance of meats, fruits, vegetables and grasses.
5. Nature’s Variety Instinct for Dogs Duck & Turkey Meal Formula: This grain-free dry diet is high in meat protein and low in carbohydrates with added fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals.
All of these premium dog foods stand up to the test for the best German Shepherd diet. High in protein with real meat listed as the number one ingredient.
I do prefer fish, but all of these come in beef and chicken flavors as well. Taste of the Wild also comes in venison and bison (again, real meat).
Some of the other brands offer rabbit and duck. All of these top GSD diets contain an excellent mix of vegetables too. My German Shepherd dog only enjoys the seafood variety of the Taste of the Wild.
I know other GSD owners that have excellent results with all of the other four premium German Shepherd diets.
You can check the quality of these dog food manufacturers on any chart, they all rank at the top.
These premium German Shepherd dog foods offer human grade ingredients, not the leftover products. You can look at an independent site’s dog food comparison here.
Always make sure to supplement a German Shepherd puppy’s diet with large raw bones. The chewing will help their jaws, the calcium and marrow will help their ears develop cartilage to stand strong.